You have recently been promoted to a human resource position, which means you will be reporting to a new leader. Your new leader has asked to meet with you to learn more about you. In preparation for this meeting, you decide to prepare a memo outlining your strengths as a leader, your personal leadership statement, how this impacts your role as a human resource leader, and what this will mean in leading others both in your department as well as throughout the organization.
Leadership Development Challenge
In this assignment, you will write a memo to your human resource leader discussing who you are as a leader. Using relevant data, you will provide evidence to support your discussion and your personal leadership statement.
To prepare for writing your personal leadership statement, you will need to articulate your leadership strengths and capabilities as well as how you communicate and influence others. While you may know many things about your leadership strengths, challenges and opportunities, it is important to provide evidence to support your assertions. Choosing to gather evidence on a variety of topics provides a more robust understanding of your leadership strengths, capabilities, and opportunities.
Write a 5–7 page memo to your new leader in which you identify your strengths as a leader, how this impacts your role as a human resource leader, and your personal leadership statement. You are expected to provide relevant evidence to support your definition of who you are as a leader. Because you will be discussing your own leadership experiences, behaviors, and vision, identifying yourself in the first person would be appropriate. Your paper should be well-organized and cover the following elements.
- Summarize your personal leadership strengths and capabilities. Include the following:
- A minimum of three relevant leadership assessment sources that inform and support your claims.
- References and citations for the leadership assessment sources you use.
- Analyze how your personal strengths and capabilities align with leadership theories for effective human resource leadership. Address the following:
- The concept of influence and how your strengths and capabilities support the need to influence as a human resource professional.
- Influence strategies and examples of how you have or would use them.
- References and citations from relevant sources to support your discussion.
- Develop a personal leadership statement. Address the following:
- A statement of who you are as a leader, based on your analysis from leadership assessments and knowledge of leadership theories.
- A statement that is concise, personal, declarative, and connects important elements that are critical for you.
- The activity titled, Personal Leadership Statements, provides clear steps and ideas for articulating your vision for yourself as a leader through a personal leadership statement.
- Explain how self-reflection impacts the role of a human resource leader.
- Length: 5–7 typed, double-spaced pages, plus the cover and resources pages.
- The first page should be a cover sheet with your name, the course number, assignment title, and date. No other information is required on this page.
- The last page should be the reference list.
- Organization: Make sure your assignment writing is well-organized, using headings and subheadings to organize content for the reader.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Resources: Use 4–6 relevant sources to support your assertions and conclusions.
- APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Written communication:
- Support main points and recommendations with relevant and credible evidence.