Employee Development and Performance
Continuing from the Strategy, Planning, and Selection assignment, you were selected as the new HR director for the retail company and now have been in the position for approximately six months. Your approach to strategy, planning, and selection have been quite successful thus far, and now it is time to address the organization’s expectation for performance and development of employees since these components of HR strategy are critical in achieving business outcomes and success.
Write a four- to five-page paper in which you do the following:
- Critically analyze and discuss any researched (web or textbook) training process model you may consider for use in developing employees (Here’s an idea: The Addie Model or exhibit 7-1, page 230 in the textbook). Then, identify and discuss some possible challenges that might be faced in implementing a new training process in the company.
- List and briefly discuss at least three types or methods of training that can be used for employee training. Of the three, which would you select to train the retail employees, and why? Be specific.
- Differentiate the concepts of performance management and performance appraisal with three to four key points. Then, make your case to leadership for or against using annual performance appraisals in the organization. Be specific with your perspective.
- Use at least four quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: You may only use the resources listed in the Course Guide and those that are specifically provided by the professor.
students may choose to use APA 6 or APA 7 and must indicate their choice on the assignment cover page.
The specific course outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Propose effective methods for implementing employee development and performance management processes for an organization.
Job Instructional Training (JIT)
JIT has four steps, presented in Model 7-1 and
Step 1: Preparation of the trainee
Put the trainee at ease as you create interest in the job and encourage questions. Explain the task objectives and quantity and quality requirements, and discuss their importance.
Step 2: Presentation of the task by the trainer
Perform the task yourself slowly, explaining each step several times. Once the trainee seems to have the steps memorized, have the trainee explain each step as you perform the task. Prepare a written list of the steps in complex tasks and give a copy to the trainee.
Step 3: Performance of the task by the trainee
Have the trainee perform the task slowly while explaining each step. Correct any errors and be willing to help the trainee perform any difficult steps. Continue until the employee can perform the task proficiently.
Step 4: Follow-up
Tell the trainee who is available to provide help with any questions or problems. Gradually give the trainee more autonomy. Begin by checking quality and quantity frequently; then decrease the amount of checking based on the trainee’s skill level. Watch the trainee perform the task and be sure to correct any errors or faulty work procedures before they become habits. Be patient and encouraging.
Even though OJT is fairly expensive on a per-person basis, many organizations still use it heavily because of the fact that it works very well. See Exhibit 7-4 for the advantages and disadvantages of OJT.
Employees are often given on-the-job training, especially in small businesses.
reference that must be included:
Robert Lussier. 2019. Human Resource Management: Functions, Applications, and Skill Development (3rd ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc.
References that can be used:
Gregg Learning. May 9, 2016. Human Resource Strategy and Planning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbvC-zhWTXo&feature=youtu.be
Integrity HR. April 18, 2018. 5 Steps To Developing A Strategic HR Plan. https://integrityhr.com/hrblog/strategic-hr-plan/
Management Study Guide. No date. Job Design – Meaning, Steps and its Benefits. https://www.managementstudyguide.com/job-design.htm
Business Wales/Busnes Cymru. Mar 17, 2015. The Recruitment Process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNcYZvToGY&feature=youtu.be
Umar Farooq. September 26, 2015. Recruitment and Selection Process in HRM. http://www.businessstudynotes.com/hrm/human-resource-management/recruitment-and-selection-process-in-hrm/
PSI Testing Excellence. July 3, 2012. 5 Tips for Designing An Effective Employee Selection System. https://blog.psionline.com/talent/bid/147051/5-Tips-for-Designing-an-Effective-Employee-Selection-System