International Industrial Relations
MNCs and Global Industrial Relations context:
Students will write a report about the following issue:
What operational differences/challenges can the MNCs experience in high unionized and low unionized cultures/regions, specially if the parent country and host countries have contrasting views on the role of unions? AND How do the MNCs respond to Industrial relations/labour relations policies of host countries they operate in?
Based on your research provide suggestion on how the MNCs can overcome the industrial relation challenges of host country. Suggestions should be in bullet points.
Report should be case study based and focus on multiple real life MNC examples and/or country/region wide discussions. Descriptive assignments (where you are mentioning a lot of theory) would be marked down. include proper text citations and APA style references for all sources. A minimum of 15 references are required out of which at least 5-6 should be journal papers – peer reviewed.
Note: This is a report, make sure your submission follows the report format. Follow APA guidelines of report writing but don’t include Executive summary. Your recommendation/suggestions should be the same no need to create 2 separate headings.
You will be marked for the following:
1. Clarity: Refers to clarity of writing – How easily understandable your concepts are. How grammatically correct the entire project is. Although simple, error free English is okay but at post grad level you are required to write in formal/academic style.
2. References/Sources: You are required to use at least 15 references for the team project (at least 6 of 15 references should be academic/peer reviewed)
3. Formatting: Assignment should adhere to the APA formatting style; Times new roman, font size 12, double spacing. You should also know the difference between essay/paper and report.
4. Analysis: Analysis is at the heart of paper – this project requires you to analyse either regions or multinational companies and their union relations globally. You must focus your analysis on region specific/company specific knowledge. Theoretical assignments will be marked down. Use as many region specific/company specific examples as you can.
5. Paper requirements: Lastly, you will be assessed based on whether or not you have answered the questions being asked AND whether your group understood the paper requirements or not.
(Give detailed explanation with no more unnecessary words and information)
Table of Content
Introduction: Which countries we are talking and why we choose them and explain about the unions and importance. (IMP: For low unionized countries we must take North America and for high unionized country consider India.) (150 words) (Provide References)
Background: (150 words)
Case Studies: Provide and explain 3 case studies of what operational differences/challenges can the MNCs experience in high unionized and low unionized cultures/regions, specially if the parent country and host countries have contrasting views on the role of unions? AND How do the MNCs respond to Industrial relations/labour relations policies of host countries they operate in? (5-6 References & 600 words (200each case study)). Be specific and no unnecessary information. APA approved case studies and references.
Examples: Examples of laws related to the unions and how the companies operate.
· Laws should be real world laws (Provide References)-200 words
Suggestions: In points (Words depending on the no of suggestions per case study).
Analysis: 150 words.
References: Follow APA format and the references should be APA approved.