The Role of Culture and Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
You began preparing for this assignment in Week One by reviewing the required elements and reflecting on the Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 content. There are three steps to completing this written assignment. Each step should be a separate, identifiable section of your paper. Start with an introductory paragraph that describes what you will be covering in your paper and end with a concluding paragraph that summarizes the information you have provided. Use the Week 2 Assignment template downloadas a guide for formatting. Use Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Describe the impact of culture on communication.
- Identify strategies you can use to demonstrate cultural sensitivity when working in human services settings. Be sure to use examples to help make your points.
- Assess your own other-orientation, as described in the textbook, as one measure of self-awareness.
- Identify personal communication strengths and growth.
- Describe your strengths with regard to this perspective.
- Identify areas in which you would like to improve.
- Discuss how having a strong other-orientation might be helpful for interpersonal communication in human services.
- Refer to Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the textbook and other relevant resources.
- Explain how both culture and self-awareness may be critical in interpersonal communication in human services.
- Identify two to three examples of effective verbal and non-verbal communication techniques that can be used to demonstrate self-awareness and culture in human service settings.
Your Final Paper:
- Must be five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Review the grading rubric and remember that 30% of your grade is based on your application of course material content and subject knowledge in Discussions, 40% is based on your ability to think critically and present original ideas in Assignments, and 30% is based on your ability to demonstrate your application of the core concepts of communication and apply them to a human services scenario in the Final Project.