6-1 Case Study: Starbucks
Read the three articles noted below about an actual union-organizing effort involving Starbucks in New York City:
- Judge Says Starbucks Violated Workers’ Rights at NYC Stores
- NLRB Orders Starbucks to Reinstate Two Workers, But Not a Third
- Court Sides With Starbucks In Dispute Over Labor Union Pins
After reading all the articles and considering additional research, address the following questions (feel free to use supplemental authoritative resources in your response):
- Do you think the administrative law judge and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) went too far in overruling Starbucks? Why or why not?
- How much leeway should an employer have in setting standards for conduct, customer interaction, and attire in the workplace?
- Does the NLRB decision unfairly limit Starbucks in the management of the stores? Why or why not?
- What is your view of the court’s decision?
For additional details, please refer to the Short Paper and Case Study Rubric document.