General Instructions: Each class is likely to be different. If you assume you know what is required, you may make a mistake that can be avoided just by reading the instructions.
- Please post your response in your individual assignment folder by the due date listed in the Course Schedule.
v Please post on time to avoid the 5% per day late penalty required by departmental policy. Remember the late window begins at 12:00 a.m. the next day. Please don’t ask me after the deadline to waive a late penalty. If you’re having a problem that matches the criteria in the grading policy, contact me before the deadline. See the Grading Information in the syllabus.
v Submissions will not be accepted after grades for this assignment have been posted. Alternate assignments are not available.
- Please work alone; this is not a group assignment.
- Remember to use a Word .doc or .docx file format to ensure I can open your work. See the Grading Information in the syllabus.
- Please do use APA to reference your response. Create a reference list at the end and use the (author, year) format within the text; or, if it is a direct quote, the (author, year, page number) format.
- Please realize that I cannot answer questions that are actually part of the test itself. That violates testing methodology. I can address “administrative type” questions. Post questions to the Week 11, Exam 3 discussion area (vs. email) so everyone will have the same information.
· If presentation is not your strong point, use the free writing support tools that are accessed via the classroom. Allow enough time for the writing tutors to assist. Access to that service is in the Content area.
- Please be sure you have submitted the document you intended. Double-check by opening your document in your folder after you’ve submitted it. If you post the wrong document, which students have done, you’ll be late and incur a late penalty.
Please answer the following questions within a maximum of 3 double-spaced pages. Note the limit requires you to be concise in synthesizing all the input from the classroom material and any external literature you gather.
1. Explain how each of the HR staffing, training & development, and performance management functional areas relates to turnover. Consider: How does turnover impact the HR function? How does the HR function influence turnover? (Weight = 35% of the exam)
2. Using one of the steps in the staffing (recruitment and selection) function, identify an action that could increase diversity in the organization’s labor pool. Explain how/why that change can be effective, using support from the literature. Then, explain the impact an increase in diversity could have on the organization’s training & development and performance management functions. (Weight = 35% of the exam)
3. Your organization is planning a major organizational change that will impact a number of employees. Some departments will need additional employees with specialized skills and other departments will need fewer employees, leading to a reduction in force (RIF). As the head of the HR department, what steps will you take in planning for both the increased need for employees with specialized skills and the RIF? (Weight = 30% of the exam)
- 6 months ago