Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
One of the most important ways to understand people is to get a sense of their self-concept. Self-concept refers to how people see themselves; it is a combination of self-awareness and self-esteem. Self-concept often will dictate how an individual communicates with other people.
Read the following article on developing ways to develop your self-esteem:
Guy Winch: 5 ways to build lasting self-esteem
After you have read the article carefully, answer the following questions:
- Which of these techniques do you think you could begin doing today to help improve your self-esteem and self-concept? Be specific and explain why you choose this technique and how you can put it into action.
- Which of these techniques do you think you would have the most difficulty practicing? Be specific about why this technique would be difficult for you.
- How do you think developing your self-esteem and self-concept will make you a more effective communicator in the workplace? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
Reading and Learning Materials
Use these resources to help you complete this assignment:
- Interpersonal Communication: Perception of Self and Others
- This video discusses interpersonal communications as they relate to our perception of ourselves and others.
- Intrapersonal Communication and Self-Concept
- This video is a brief overview of what self-concept is and how it develops.
- Develop a Healthy Self-Concept
- This article discusses ways to develop a positive self-concept.