This Competency Assessment assesses the following outcome(s):
HS410-6: Evaluate organization and management principles in healthcare settings.
PC-1.2: Contribute to team goals and objectives through active participation and collaboration.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
There are five essential principles of management. These include planning, organizing, directing, controlling, and leading. You have been asked to give a presentation to a group of new managers hired or promoted in your healthcare organization. The purpose of this presentation is to train the new managers how they may apply principles of management to specific scenarios in the health care setting.
In order to gather information and further research this topic it is recommended that you review the reading for this course. In addition, you must conduct outside research on the principles of management, which may include use of the University library and reliable internet resources.
Your presentation must include:
- at least three of the five principles discussed above
- real world examples for each principle, including how you and at least one other leader have successfully applied each of the presented principles, describing the function of the principle and its impact
- A specific example of how the principles of management can be applied to tasks involving teamwork in the health care setting. This example must include how your own role contributed to achieving the team’s goals and objectives.
Minimum Submission Requirements
- This Assessment must be a Microsoft PowerPoint.
- You will also need to write a script in a separate Microsoft Word to accompany the slide presentation. The script should
- be double-spaced;
- be typed in Times New Roman, 12 -point font;
- be written in Standard English with no spelling or punctuation errors
- Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your presentation should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your PowerPoint and script must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- Your PowerPoint and script should provide a clearly established and sustained viewpoint and purpose.
- You will also need to write a script in a separate Microsoft Word to go along with each slide.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- A separate slide at the end of your presentation should contain a list of references, in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to cite both in-text and reference list citations where appropriate and reference all sources. Your sources and content should follow proper APA citation style. Review the writing resources for APA formatting and citation found in Academic Tools. Additional writing resources can be found within the Academic Success Center.
- Your submission must:
- include a cover slide;
- utilize spacing and font size and style appropriate for a presentation;
- include correct citations; and
- be written in Standard English with no spelling or punctuation errors.
If work submitted for this competency assessment does not meet the minimum submission requirements, it will be returned without being scored.
Plagiarism is an act of academic dishonesty. It violates the University Honor Code, and the offense is subject to disciplinary action. You are expected to be the sole author of your work. Use of another person’s work or ideas must be accompanied by specific citations and references. Whether the action is intentional or not, it still constitutes plagiarism.