According to Tervalon and Murray-García (1998), developing cultural humility requires a lifetime commitment to self-evaluation and self-critique. In other words, you must routinely assess what you do not know about cultures that are different from your own. One of the underlying assumptions of culturally humility is that there is always more to learn.
For this Assignment, you will take an ungraded intercultural sensitivity quiz and write a brief reflection paper on your results, which will give you insight about what you still need to learn about different cultures and cultural issues. Please do not prepare for the quiz ahead of time or search the Internet for the correct answer during the quiz.
Tervalon, M., & Murray-García, J. (1998). Cultural humility versus cultural competence: A critical distinction in defining physician training outcomes in multicultural education. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 9(2), 117–125. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1353/hpu.2010.0233
- Complete the ungraded intercultural sensitivity quiz located in this week’s Learning Resources. Please do not prepare for the quiz ahead of time or search the Internet for the correct answer during the quiz.
- Review your quiz results. As you do so, reflect on what surprised you about your results, what questions you got incorrect but assumed you knew, and what you learned about your own cultural sensitivity from completing the quiz.
- Review the Learning Resources on cultural humility. Think about how you will use what you learned about your own cultural sensitivity to develop cultural humility.
By Day 7
Write a 2-page reflection paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly summarize your results from the intercultural sensitivity quiz.
- What surprised you about your results? Were there questions that you got incorrect but assumed you knew the correct answers?
- What did you learn about your own cultural sensitivity as a result of completing the quiz?
- How will you use what you learned about your cultural sensitivity to develop cultural humility?