You have been promoted from a human resource generalist to the position of deputy HR director for CapraTek. Your supervisor has assigned you to help implement a workforce strategy, but she has told you that you are to use tools that include the traditional HR areas of recruitment and selection, training and development, compensation, and employee relations. Your boss is very traditional and is known as a no-nonsense professional. Others see her as inflexible and behind the times.You cannot use workforce planning, workforce management, succession planning, leadership development, reorganization, or other materials in this course.
Consider the following conditions as you approach the implementation of a new workforce strategy for CapraTek:
- CapraTek is having difficulty retaining all forms of engineering professionals (civil, mechanical, and electrical).
- The new president is forward-looking and has stated the HR organization is anchored in the past and overly focused on compliance.
- While there are no problems with CapraTek managers seeking promotion, the quality of these same people is mediocre, at best.
Use the Capella library to read the following:
- Lawler, E. E., III, & Boudreau, J. W. (2012).Creating an effective human capital strategy. HRMagazine, 57(8), 57–59.
- McCord, P. (2014). How Netflix reinvented HR (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 92(1/2), 70-76.
Use the Internet to complete the following:
- The Drucker School of Management. (2016). How Peter Drucker’s teachings are used at Netflix: Highly aligned, loosely coupled [Video] | Transcript. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVqCVKHNr0
- Tawni Cranz, chief talent officer at Netflix, discussed how Peter Drucker’s teachings are used in this organization.
- Running ]time: 1:26 minutes
- LinkedIn Talent Solutions. (2014). The alliance: Managing talent in the networked age | Talent connect San Francisco [Video] | Transcript. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXruNLdbsvE
- LinkedIn executive chairman and co-founder Reid Hoffman and others discuss strategies for maintaining a new employer-employee relationship as well as recruiting, managing, and retaining top talent in the networked age.
- Running time: 34:53 minutes.