- topic is Syphilis
- Identify the sexual health issue. What are the public health impacts associated with this issue?
- Identify a community impacted by this sexual health issue. Is the community a geographic area, a target population or both? Describe this community. What are the characteristics of this community?
Example: Injection drug users who exchange sex for drugs in Scott County, Indiana
Sexual Health issue: STIs
Public health impacts: Hepatitis C and increased HIV transmission risk
Target population/Geographic area description:
- White men and women (58% men, 42% women, 98% white)
- Median age 33.5 years
- Injection drug users (94%)
- Population of 24,000
- High levels of poverty (19%)
- High rate of unemployment compared to the rest of the U.S.
- Lack of education (21% did not finish high school)
- High rate of premature rate compared to rest of U.S. Rate has increased dramatically since 2010